Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Best Friends with JOY PREBLE

Joy Preble is a treasure. I've never had the fortune of meeting her in person (yet) but I absolutely love her! She's an amazing author as well as a wonderful person who feels like a kindred spirit to so many who know her!

In addition to her Anatasia series, Joy has a new book coming out this MAY 2013- The Sweet Dead Life! It's amazing, you must read it!!!

Joy's Trailer for Sweet Dead Life!
 
 Did you have a best friend in high school? If you did, are you still in touch in any way? How involved are you in each other’s lives now?

Yes. Yes, we talk/email regularly and see each other as frequently as we can, although I live in Houston and she lives in Portland, OR. In fact, I just stayed at her house when I went on book travel in January! We are there for each other in all ways.

 That's awesome. Friends like that are worth their weight in CHOCOLATE!! If applicable tell us about a time when a best friend betrayed you. 
 
I guess I’m lucky that this has never happened. I have had friends who have stopped being friends, but no active betrayal. 

You are lucky! How about something your best friend did for you, that probably no other person would ever do?

I don’t know if I can say that no other person would ever do something dramatic for me. Maybe I just have great friends because they have listened to my every story, stuck by me through thick and thin, held my hair when I vomited, and told me honestly when an outfit made me look fat. 
 
What did you love most about you teenage best friend?

I loved and still love that she is her own person. She is now a concert pianist and she was always creative and generous, wore clompy boots and made me laugh. She still is and does all those things.

Clompy boots! I love clompy boots! Oh and being your own person is good too! And laughing. Laughing is good!
 
So all and all, what did you learn from your best teen friend?

How to be my own person.

Yay for friends helping friends. Thank you SO MUCH Joy!

**

THE SWEET DEAD LIFE by JOY PREBLE!

"I found out two things today. One, I think I’m dying. And two, my brother is a perv.”

So begins the diary of 14-year-old Jenna Samuels, who is having a very bad eighth-grade year. Her single mother spends all day in bed. Dad vanished when she was eight. Her 16-year-old brother, Casey, tries to hold together what’s left of the family by working two after-school jobs— difficult, as he’s stoned all the time. To make matters worse, Jenna is sick. When she collapses one day, Casey tries to race her to the hospital in their beat-up Prius and crashes instead.

Jenna wakes up in the ER to find Casey beside her. Beatified. Literally. The flab and zits? Gone. Before long, Jenna figures out that Casey didn’t survive the accident at all. He’s an “A-word.” (She can’t bring herself to utter the truth.) Soon they discover that Jenna isn’t just dying: she’s being poisoned. And Casey has been sent back to help solve the mystery that not only holds the key to her survival, but also to their mother’s mysterious depression and father’s disappearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment